CALL US
TODAY!
(386) 310-1334 or click here to
Get Started

The Symptoms of High Blood Pressure

High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease which anyone from adults, babies, and pregnant women could have. The disease itself is a defined as a chronic elevation in the patient’s arterial blood pressure. In order to adequately supply the body with the right amount of blood, the heart is forced to work even harder to provide the proper level of blood circulation despite the elevated blood pressure. Most people who develop this disease will not experience any symptoms, even if their blood pressure reaches critical levels.

In order to get a good measurement of the patient’s blood pressure, you must take into the account the beating and resting rates of the heart. A systolic measurement is used to calculate the contracting of the cardiac muscle (systole), and the diastolic measurement is used to calculate the relaxing of the cardiac muscle (diastole) between heartbeats. Let’s have a look at these measurements:

100-140 mmHg systolic pressure = normal
60-90 mmHg diastolic pressure

≥ 140 mmHg systolic pressure = hypertension
≥ 90 mmHg diastolic pressure

High Blood Pressure Measurements

 

Hypertension Measurements    
Systolic Pressure (mmHg) Diastolic Pressure (mmHg)
 Pre-Hypertension  120-139  80-89
 Isolated Systolic Hypertension  ≥ 140  < 90
 Stage I Hypertension  140-159  90-99
 Stage II Hypertension  ≥ 160  ≥ 100
 Stage III Hypertension  ≥ 179  ≥ 109
 Hypertensive Crisis  ≥ 180  ≥ 110

 

In general, isolated systolic hypertension is diagnosed in older patients. This form of high blood pressure has been characterized by an elevated systolic pressure coupled with a normal diastolic pressure.

On the other hand, stage II hypertension accounts for nearly 7 percent of all diagnosed cases of hypertension. These patients have other underlying medical conditions which affect their kidneys, endocrine system, and the heart or arteries. The other 93 percent of high blood pressure cases all appear to have no underlying medical cause, or at least not one that doctors have been able to identify.  There are certain diseases could cause high blood pressure which includes Crushing’s syndrome, obesity, and thyroid disease.

As mentioned earlier, most patients who develop hypertension do not experience any symptoms no matter how high their blood pressure gets. On the other hand, for the patients who do experience symptoms, these can include:

  • Dizzy spells
  • Hypertensive retinopathy
  • Nosebleeds
  • Headaches in the back of the head
  • Headaches in the morning
  • Vertigo
  • Palpitations
  • Tinnitus (buzzing or hissing sounds in the ears)
  • Lightheadedness
  • Fainting
  • Visual problems

Pregnant women who develop high blood pressure will run a greater risk of developing pre-eclampsia, a disorder that has been characterized by the elevated blood pressure and the presence of protein in the expecting mother’s urine. As one might expect, pre-eclampsia can soon progress into eclampsia, a hypertensive crisis of sorts. Studies have shown that pre-eclampsia can cut the odds of perinatal survival in half and is responsible for 16 percent of all maternal deaths. The symptoms that can manifest in pregnant women with gestational hypertension could include any of the following:

  • Headache
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting
  • Edema
  • Visual problems

A hypertensive crisis is whenever a patient’s blood pressure has risen to lethal levels. A severely high blood pressure can cause critical damage to the vital organs of the body. Any of the following symptoms could be a sign that you are experiencing a hypertensive emergency:

 

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Visual deterioration
  • Trouble breathing
  • Malaise
  • Heart failure
  • Renal failure

There is no age restriction when it comes to hypertension, and some children do experience periods of elevated blood pressure. The hypertensive symptoms that could manifest in neonates, infants, and children include the following:

  • Irritability
  • Trouble breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Blurred vision
  • Nosebleeds
  • Facial paralysis
  • Seizures
  • Failure to thrive

Please remember that untreated hypertension will put you at a greater risk of suffering from a heart attack, stroke or developing heart failure, aortic aneurysm, peripheral arterial disease, and chronic kidney disease. Hypertension can be effectively managed or even reversed by adhering to a healthier diet and lifestyle.